One of my favorite things to do in the kitchen is to make homemade freezer jelly. It is so very simple, requires no processing, and can stay in the freezer for an entire year. The possibilities are endless. You are limited simply by the type of juice you find. Freezer Jelly is a perfect confidence builder for the beginning “canner.”
The first time I made freezer jelly, I was looking for ways to add pomegranate to our diet as it is extremely high in antioxidants. I found a recipe for a beautiful Crimson Pomegranate Jelly that has a nice balance of sweet and tart flavor.
For children that are die hard grape jelly fans, as I was when I was a child, freezer jelly made with grape juice is a fantastic cost effective way to prepare their PB & J sandwiches… without resorting to high fructose corn syrup laden jars from the store.
Beginner’s Freezer Jelly
- 4 cups 100% fruit juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 ¾ oz. package powdered fruit pectin
- 4 ½ cup evaporated cane juice, or sugar (Buy cane juice here)
- Pour the fruit juice and the lemon juice into a large stock pot.
- Sprinkle the pectin over the juice and let it stand for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir to dissolve the pectin.
- Bring the juice to a full, rolling boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the evaporated cane juice or sugar.
- Return to a full, rolling boil, stirring often. Boil hard for 1 full minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pot from the heat and quickly skim any foam off with a metal spoon.
- Immediately ladle into containers. Cover and let it stand for 24 hours.
- This will last for several weeks in the refrigerator or you can freeze it.
Here are a few other freezer jam & jelly recipes for you to try!
Spiced Apple Jelly
Peach Peel Jelly
Sunshine Strawberry Jam
Raw Cherry Freezer Jam
Honey Sweetened Strawberry Freezer Jam
15 Minute Strawberry Jam
Raspberry Peach Freezer Jam
Blueberry Cinnamon Freezer Jam