In our home, we have an a tradition where I prepare a dessert every Sunday that is slightly fancier, or more labor intensive that what we normally bake during the week. It began as “Ice Cream Sunday’s” with a different ice cream treat every week, but when winter came, everyone wanted something less “summer-y”. While we often eat old favorites, I frequently try new recipes that I think everyone will like. If I come across something particularly tasty, I will post the recipe for it here – for your sweet tooth.This week, we ate my husbands all time favorite pie. It is a sweet potato pie with a praline topping. It’s like a manly pumpkin pie!(I’ve been using this recipe for many years and unfortunately I don’t remember where it came from in order to give credit where credit is due.)Pie: 300 Tried & True Recipes for Delicious Homemade PiePerfect PiesPie & Tart
Ceramic Pie WeightsPastry Cutter/MixerJust Prize Pies
Anchor Hocking Pie Dishes- my favorite!Insulated Pie CarrierPie Server
Sweet Potato Pie
- 1-2 lbs. sweet potatoes (I use about 3 large or 4 medium ones)
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 t. cinnamon (heaping)
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 recipe pie crust
- For the topping:
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. pecans, chopped
- Cook the sweet potatoes either by roasting in the oven or I prefer to peel, cube, and steam them until they are fork tender. (Even though it takes more labor, it is ultimately quicker and uses less electricity.)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, beat potatoes together with butter until the potatoes are mashed and butter has melted.
- Mix in the milk and spices.
- Stir in the eggs.
- Pour into the pie crust and bake for 45-60 minutes. (It really depends on how many sweet potatoes you use. Thick pies make me happy, so mine usually bake for about an hour.)
- Test doneness by inserting a clean knife into the center of the pie. If it’s clean, it’s done.
- To prepare the topping, melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar until it is well blended, about a minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chopped pecans. Spread on the top of the cool pie. Refrigerate.