Healthy Multi Grain Seed Bread
Yield 2 loaves
A healthy, multigrain Seed Bread make with whole grains like wheat, rye, oats, buckwheat, and quinoa and tasty pumpkin, sunflower, flax, and sesame seeds.
- 3 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 4 Tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Steel Cut Oats, or Cracked Wheat
- 2 Tablespoons Buckwheat Groats
- 2 Tablespoons Quinoa
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon dry, active yeast
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- ½ cup Additional seeds for garnish, optional, not soaked
- Combine the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, steel cut oats, buckwheat groats, and quinoa in a small bowl.
- Stir in ½ cup water.
- Allow to soak for at least an hour.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the yeast into 2 cups of warm water.
- Add the honey, whole wheat flour, rye flour, all-purpose flour, seed mix, and salt.
- Stir together to combine and then knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise until it has doubled.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface.
- Divide it into 2 pieces and form the initial shape.
- Allow the dough to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Grease the pans with soft butter.
- Shape the dough once again.
- If you want a seedy crust, brush the dough with water and roll them into a mix of extra seeds spread on a plate. (About ¼ cup of mixed seeds per loaf. Feel free to add in some sesame seeds too! But I don't recommend using the flax seeds on the crust. When toasted they taste a little fishy. Literally.)
- Place the loaves into the baking pans.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap then allow them to rise again until doubled.
- Place an empty oven-proof dish in the bottom rack of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- When the bread has risen, make ½"-1" deep slashes across the top if you'd like.
- Place in the oven and close the door.
- For a chewy crust: Get about ½ cup of water and quickly pour it onto the hot, empty pan on the bottom rack of the oven to create steam. Quickly shut the oven door.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the bread reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees F.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool for as long as you can stand.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2018/01/healthy-multigrain-seed-bread-recipe.html