- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil or applesauce
- 1 ½ cup sugar (I use evaporated cane juice- you can buy it here.)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cup zucchini, shredded
- 2 1/2 cup flour (I always use half unbleached all-purpose and half whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup buckwheat groats (Find them here.)
- 1 Tablespoon soft butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare 2 muffin tins with a brush of oil, smear of soft butter, or cupcake papers.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla.
- Stir in zucchini.
- Whisk the flour(s), cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a separate bowl. Add it to the zucchini mixture, mixing well.
- Divide the batter among the muffin tins, filling each about ⅔ of the way full.
- To make the streusel topping, measure the sugar, buckwheat, and butter together in a small bowl and work them between your fingertips until they are fully combined.
- Sprinkle a little streusel over each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 18-21 minutes (or in a loaf pan for 1 hour.) Lightly press the center of a muffin (or the loaf to test for doneness. If it doesn’t leave an indentation, they’re ready to come out.