Moist Chocolate Kale Cake Recipe with Fudge Frosting
I'm gonna let you in on my little secret to get a moist chocolate cake recipe using a special, stealth-veggie ingredient.... kale!
- 3 cups kale leaves, chopped
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, about ⅓ cup
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fudge Frosting
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 2- 9” cake pans with soft butter. Dust the pan with cocoa powder.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Place the chocolate in a medium bowl and place it over the saucepan, making a double boiler.
- When the chocolate has melted, remove the bowl and place a couple of handfuls of chopped kale leaves in the water and cook it for a minute or two until it softens and is bright green.
- Scoop the kale from the water and place it in a blender along with a few splashes of water from the pan. Puree the kale, adding a little more water if necessary. Run the puree through a mesh strainer to remove the fibers.
- Measure out ¾ cup of kale puree and add it to the melted chocolate along with ¼ cup of cocoa powder. Whisk in the sour cream.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar for several minutes until it looks light and airy. Occasionally scrape the sides.
- Meanwhile, measure out the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and whisk them together really well.
- Add the eggs into the creamed butter, one at a time, beating them into the mix before adding the next egg. Scape the sides then beat in the vanilla.
- Alternating, add the flour mixture and the chocolate-kale mixture into the mixing bowl. Begin and end with the flour and scrape the sides between additions. Scrape the sides a final time and beat the batter for a few more seconds before dividing it between the prepared pans.
- Bake the cakes for 30-35 minutes until it springs back when very lightly touched.
- After cooling them for about 10 minutes, invert the cakes onto a cooling rack and cool them completely before frosting.
- Fudge Frosting
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together.
- Cream the butter and then blend the sugar, salt, and vanilla into it on low speed until it’s all mixed in.
- On medium speed add enough cream to get the desired consistency and then beat it for about 3 minutes before frosting.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2016/03/chocolate-kale-cake-fudge-frosting.html