Learn How to Make Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 gallon whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid rennet or equivalent (Find non-GMO rennet here)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cream, (Learn the easiest way to skim cream from milk here.)
- 3 Tablespoons sour cream, or to taste
- Warm the milk to about 80 degrees.
- Stir in the rennet and allow the milk to rest for 2 hours.
- Use a whisk to stir the milk and cut the curds.
- Let the curds rest for 10 minutes.
- Slowly warm the cheese to about 100-110 degrees, until you can gently squeeze a curd without it splitting open. Don't go too long or the curds will get hard and rubbery.
- Strain the cheese through a cheesecloth lined colander and hang it for about 20-30 minutes.
- Transfer the cheese to a bowl and stir in the salt, cream, and sour cream adding more if necessary to achieve the desired taste and consistency.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2016/02/learn-make-cottage-cheese.html