Oxtail Soup with Parmesan Herbed Dumplings
- 1 oxtail, divided into manageable lengths
- 1 beef hock
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 small parsnips, chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs thyme
- salt and pepper
- Herbed Dumplings
1-1 ⅓ cups diced potatoes
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- In a dutch oven or cast iron skillet, brown the oxtail & “hock” in the oil. Season it with salt and pepper and sear each side. Transfer them to a plate.
- Add the chopped vegetables, onions, carrots, celery, and parsnips to the dutch oven and cook them for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine. If you were using a skillet, transfer the vegetables and liquids to a stockpot.
- Add 3 quarts of water, the meat, oregano, bay leaf, thyme, and tomato paste. Season with salt.
- Simmer, covered, until the beef is tender, about 4 hours.
- Remove the meat, pick it from off the bones, and return it to the soup pot.
- For the dumplings, Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Dice the potatoes and add them a small saucepan. Cover them with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Boil the potatoes until they’re tender, drain the water, and then mash them.
- Gently stir in 2 eggs, the chopped parsley, flour, parmesan cheese, and garlic salt.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead it together for a couple minutes.
- Tear off a quarter to half-dollar sized pieces and add them to the boiling water. Cook them for 8 minutes. Drain the water and serve them over the soup.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2016/01/oxtail-soup-with-parmesan-herbed-dumplings.html