- 4–5 pound pork roast (loin, shoulder, etc.),
- spoonful of lard
- 5 cloves garlic, minced,
- 1 tablespoon sea salt,
- 1 teaspoon cumin,
- 1 teaspoon chili powder,
- 1 teaspoon black pepper,
- 1 teaspoon oregano,
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper,
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder,
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar,
- ½ cup orange juice,
- 12 ounce beer of choice,
- Corn tortillas,
- Cabbage slaw
- Crumbled cheese
- Sprinkle the roast all over with the minced garlic.
- In a small bowl, combine the sea salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cayenne pepper, and cocoa powder.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture over the roast and use your fingers to rub it into the meat.
- Sear the roast in the lard over medium-high heat until browned on all sides. (I used my dutch oven.)
- Pour the orange juice, apple cider vinegar, and beer into the dutch oven.
- Cover and bake in a 275-degree oven for 6-7 hours, or until it shreds apart easily with a fork. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, and shred up the meat – removing any gristle or bone.
- Pour the liquid from the pan back over the shredded meat.
- Serve a heaping scoop of the shredded pork atop a warm corn tortilla, topping it with cabbage slaw, crumbled cheese, and salsa.