Our Favorite Apple Pie with Streusel Topping
For the Filling
For the Streusel Topping
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ginger
- 6 Tablespoons butter, cut into pats
- 1 cup pecans, chopped or I bet rolled oats would be good (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare your pie crust and then pop into the refrigerator to keep it chilled while your work on the topping and the filling.
- Make the topping first so your apples don't brown up while you're doing it later (especially if you forget or ran out of lemon juice but want pie anyway. ahem.)
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, and spices in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter using your fingers until its crumbly.
- Stir in the nuts if you'll be using them.
- To make the filling, toss the peeled, cored, and sliced apples in a bowl with the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with the spices and flour and give it a good, gentle stirring.
- Arrange the sliced apples in the pie dish.
- Crumble the streusel topping over the apple slices.
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 45 minutes until the apples can be pierced with a knife but before they are mushy.
- Cool for as long as you can handle it. You don't want to burn your mouth, but warm enough so your ice cream will melt into it and soak into the flaky crust.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2014/10/our-favorite-apple-pie.html