How to Make Your Own Sweet Cream Butter
- 1 quart of cream
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Sit the cream out on the counter to warm up for an hour or two. Slightly warmed cream (50-60 degrees) whips up into butter more quickly.
- Pour the cream into a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and turn it onto medium (I set it to 4.)
- When the cream begins to separate into small chunks of butter and you can see the buttermilk beginning to gather at the sides, switch to the paddle attachment.
- After the paddle attachment (also set at 4) brings all the butter together, drain the buttermilk into a jar using butter muslin and a canning funnel
- Place the butter back into the mixing bowl and cover the butter with cold water.
- Massage the butter, releasing any remaining buttermilk.
- Drain the cloudy water, refill, massaging again until all the buttermilk is released and the rinse water stays clear.
- Drain the water.
- Massage in ½ tsp., more or less, to taste.
- Keep soft and fresh in a Butter Bell (Like this one.)
- or spread into a silicone pan (I use this one.)to make a stick.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2014/04/how-to-make-your-own-sweet-cream-butter.html