Roasted Chicken with Caramelized Onion & Apple Honey Stuffing
- whole chicken or 4 bone-in chicken breasts with skin
- 1 T. butter
- ½ c. onions, thinly sliced or canned caramelized onions
- 1 baking apple, cored, shredded
- 1 T. bread crumbs
- 1 T. honey
- ¼ t. pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ t. salt
- pinch pepper
- pinch dried thyme leaves
- olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika (if roasting)
- Prepare the stuffing by melting the butter in a skillet.
- If you're using the raw onion, add the slices to the butter and cook them until they're soft.
- If you're using the canned caramelized onions, add them to the butter along with the shredded apple, bread crumbs, honey, spices, and seasonings. Cook for a couple of minutes and remove the skillet from the heat.
- Separate the skin from the chicken breasts and thighs with your fingers to form pockets between the skin and the meat.
- Tuck the stuffing among the pockets, folding the skin back over into place. Secure with a toothpick if necessary.
- For the slow cooker:
- Place the chicken in the crockpot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a glass of water to the bottom.
- Cover and cook on high for about 5-6 hours or low for about 8 hours.
- To roast:
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika and rub it all over the skin.
- Roast in the oven at 475 degrees for about 20-30 minutes until the skin is golden and crispy.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees.
- Add a glass of water to the bottom of the pan, cover, and return to the oven for about an hour to an hour and a half depending on the size of the bird. The internal temperature should be about 170 degrees.
- Allow the fully roasted chicken to set on the counter for 10 minutes before carving to allow the juices to settle.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2014/03/roasted-chicken-with-caramelized-onion-apple-honey-stuffing.html