~How to Can Caramelized Onions~
- Wear some eye protection such as safety glasses so you can work uninterrupted by the crying from the fumes.
- Remove the ends from each onion.
- Peel off the skin.
- Cut each onion in half and then thinly slice.
- In a skillet, caramelize the sliced onions in some melted butter. (Use your judgement depending on the size of the onions and the amount you're caramelizing.) I started out with several skillets and combined them all as the onions became smaller in size.
- When the onions are soft and lightly browned strain them out of the juice.
- Pack into canning jars.
- Remove the air pockets with a tool or knife.
- Clean the rims and top with your lids.
- Pressure can according to manufacturers instructions for 70 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure for half pints and 75 minutes for pints.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2014/03/how-to-can-caramelized-onions.html