Homestyle Chicken & Dumplings
- whole roasting chicken
- 5 chicken feet (optional)
- 1 onion, quartered
- cloves of garlic, diced or smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- splash of lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, or whey
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup , as a thickener
- 3 cups flour (Gluten-free? Maybe try this gluten-free all-purpose flour .)
- ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 2 ½ Tablespoons lard
- 2 ½ Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- In a stockpot, combine the chicken, feet if using, onion, garlic, bay, lemon juice, and seasonings. Cover with water and allow to simmer down for several hours until the chicken is cooked and falling off of the bone.
- Remove the chicken and strain the broth. I place a large colander over a bowl and dump the whole pot into the colander then return the broth in the bowl to the stockpot.
- While the chicken is cooling down enough to pick the meat from the bones, add the diced celery and prepare the cream of chicken soup.
- Stir in the cream of chicken soup and and cooked, picked chicken meat to the broth and allow it to slowly simmer and thicken up a bit while you prepare the dumplings.
- For the dumplings, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the fat.
- Stir in the milk until a very soft and sticky dough forms.
- Turn it out on a well floured surface and roll the dough to paper thin (adding more flour as necessary to make the dough manageable).
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into 1-2" squares with a pizza cutter or knife and then allow the dumplings to rest and harden for about 30 minutes. (Do not omit this step or they will somewhat disintegrate when you add them to the broth making for fewer dumplings and a starchier broth.)
- After the hardening period, add the dumplings to the stock pot, tearing any large ones in two.
- Do not stir them into the broth, but rather swirl the pot a bit to bring the broth over the top of the dumplings.
- Cook for about 7-10 minutes after adding in the last dumpling.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2013/12/chicken-dumplings.html