Chicken Soup with Homemade Spaetzle
Nourishing, comforting, warming, and hearty chicken soup with homemade spaetzle noodles and the real flavor and nutrition that only comes with time.
- 1 whole chicken
- 4-8 chicken feet, optional
- roasted chicken bones, optional
- 1 onion, halved, peeled
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- juice of half a lemon or 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar or whey
- generous palmful of sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 ½ pounds carrots, peeled, chopped
- 4 small parsnips, peeled, chopped
- 5-6 celery stalks, chopped including leaves
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Spaetzle Noodles:
- 1 ½ cup flour of choice
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large stockpot place the chicken, feet, bones, onion, garlic, acid, and seasoning.
- Fill the pot to the brim with water. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce to a low temperature. Continue to simmer on low for several hours until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
- Strain the stock from the pot through a colander (into another large stockpot or I use a large bread bowl).
- Set the colander of chicken aside and return the strained stock to the pot.
- Add the prepared vegetables and parsley to the stock and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender, maybe 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Meanwhile pick the chicken meat from the bones and reserve it, discarding the remainder of the strained ingredients and adding the chicken back into the soup to warm while the noodles are cooking.
- To prepare the noodles, simply mix together the flour, eggs, and salt until a very stiff dough forms. Be sure to add enough flour that the dough will not stick to your fingers while picking the noodles. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Pick off small pea-sized noodles until you have picked through all of the dough.
- Keep the flour handy, you may have to dust your fingers to keep the noodles from sticking a bit. Drop the noodles into the pot of boiling water and boil for about 8 minutes after adding the last noodle.
- Drain the water.
- Either add to the soup or serve individually in a bowl and top with the soup.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2013/01/chicken-soup-with-homemade-spaetzle.html