Don’t you just love quick bread? I know I do. Beautiful, simple breads like this Strawberry Banana Nut Bread put a smile on my face when I can just wake up in the morning knowing breakfast is ready and all I need to do is slice, butter, and serve!
Of course, I suppose quick bread makes a bigger mess of crumbs on the floor than the steel cut oats do… but it’s a trade off I’m willing to make.
I’ve been trying to make a strawberry quick bread for a couple years and until now nothing really knocked my socks off, but this one was so delicious and moist. And my walnut-pickers liked the concentration of nuts near the bottom for easy removal. Crazies! I guess I just don’t love them enough to leave the nuts out, but enough that I’m willing to compromise.
Strawberry Banana Nut BreadPrint
- 1 ½ cups walnuts, chopped
- 3 cups strawberries, chopped
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 loaf pans.
- Sprinkle the chopped walnuts in the bottom of the pans.
- Whisk together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in one bowl.
- In another bowl mix together the sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together. (The mixture will be very dry.)
- Stir in the bananas and strawberries.
- Divide between the loaf pans.
- Bake for an hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.