Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Strawberry Scones is our new favorite breakfast. I believe I’ve mentioned it a time or two already, haven’t I?
I like them that much.
It’s possible I may even like them better than Strawberry Banana Nut Bread. And the fact that my kids are getting old enough to make these scones themselves is a heavy weight in their favor over Strawberry Shortcake with Honey Sourdough Biscuits for breakfast.
I like Chocolate Chip Strawberry Scones because they’re only lightly sweetened and yet the chocolate chips provide enough satisfaction to the children’s sweet tooth’s that they aren’t begging for donuts. Or something equally deliciously naughty for breakfast that will rack me with guilt the rest of the day. (And leave them strangely irritable and temperamental.)
Plus, I’m usually at a loss as to how to use up frozen strawberries from last year’s harvest. It’s been pretty nice to just open up that bag of sliced berries! A little breaking of the frozen pieces apart and a lot of breathing in the fresh aroma of summertime on a frosty March morning. It’s the perfect cure for the mid-winter blues.
The whole wheat in these Chocolate Chip Strawberry Scones actually makes them better than if they were made with all white flour! All white flour and they’re too sweet and too dry inside, chewy on the outside. The whole wheat flour adds a wonderful flavor and texture. You can experiment with the amount of whole wheat you use in the recipe. I tend to like a nice 50/50 ratio of wheat to white flour in my baked goods.
Should you choose to try Chocolate Chip Strawberry Scones yourself, my only caveat is that you must, MUST not consider the butter and whipped cream optional. Oh my! The whole combination is simply delectable and oh so satisfying!
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Strawberry Scones
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip & Strawberry Scones
Chocolate Chip Strawberry Scones made with whole wheat flour is a wonderful way to use up frozen strawberries leftover from the early summer harvest.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, chilled, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅓ cup milk
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup frozen strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter until coarse & crumbly.
- Stir in the eggs and milk until a soft dough forms.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and strawberries.
- Turn out onto a heavily floured surface, adding more flour to make a dry dough kneading a bit to incorporate it all together until it holds without crumbling.
- Pat to 1/2"- 3/4" thick square and cut into 16 squares.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes... cool for 5 minutes prior to serving which must be done with a pat of butter and freshly whipped cream.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @reformationacres on Instagram and hashtag it #reformationacres.
Original Recipe Credit