~Creamed Chicken Over Cornbread~
- Creamed Chicken:
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 Tablespoon celery, minced
- 1 Tablespoon onion, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- For the Cornbread:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 10" cast iron skillet with a little butter.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another and then stir them all together.
- Pour into the skillet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Toothpick test to make sure they're done.
- For the Creamed Chicken:
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the celery and onion until they're clear.
- Add the flour and whisk for a minute.
- Add the stock, cream, and seasonings, bringing to a boil.
- Cook, stirring, until the gravy thickens- about 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer until heated through.
- To Serve:
- Slice the cornbread into serving sized pieces and spoon the creamed chicken over the cornbread.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2011/12/creamed-chicken-over-cornbread.html