Today I’m sharing a new recipe, Creamed Chicken over Cornbread, I came across while searching for ways besides Chicken Pot Pie to stretch a whole chicken. It has quickly become a family favorite! This hearty, warm, comforting, winter meal that had my children all going for seconds!
After the first meal, everyone agreed the original recipe’s ratio of cornbread to chicken was off but even after doubling we all thought it would taste much finer on my cornbread recipe. I reduced it by half and found it perfect and didn’t mind at all having to experiment a bit to get it just right because even the nights where it was not-quite-right, it was so satisfying!
Creamed Chicken Over Cornbread
~Creamed Chicken Over Cornbread~
- Creamed Chicken:
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 Tablespoon celery, minced
- 1 Tablespoon onion, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- For the Cornbread:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 10" cast iron skillet with a little butter.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another and then stir them all together.
- Pour into the skillet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Toothpick test to make sure they're done.
- For the Creamed Chicken:
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the celery and onion until they're clear.
- Add the flour and whisk for a minute.
- Add the stock, cream, and seasonings, bringing to a boil.
- Cook, stirring, until the gravy thickens- about 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer until heated through.
- To Serve:
- Slice the cornbread into serving sized pieces and spoon the creamed chicken over the cornbread.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @reformationacres on Instagram and hashtag it #reformationacres.
Original Recipe Credit: At My Grandmother’s Knee: Recipes & Memories Handed Down By Women of the South