~Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie~
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 3-4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled & diced
- 1/2-3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3-4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cup flour
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1 to 1 ½ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and saute the diced onion, celery, and carrot over medium heat until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and divide among two pie dishes or a 9 X 13 baking pan.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cooked chicken (dividing among the two dishes if necessary).
- To prepare the gravy, melt the 1/4 c. butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper and whisk in the 1/4 c. flour and continue to whisk for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the stock and milk and bring to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer the gravy until it begins to thicken up a little.
- Divide the gravy among the chicken mixture dishes and stir in.
- For the biscuit topping, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut in the 6 T. butter until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- Stir in the milk, beginning with a cup and adding the additional 1/2 as necessary to bring the biscuit together.
- Dividing among the dishes, spoon the dough, if wet, on top of the chicken mixture and spread with the back of a spoon to cover the entire surface. Or, if the dough is dry enough, pat flat to the size of the pan and place on top of the mixture.
- If desired, brush the top with melted butter and bake the pie for 30 minutes.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2011/10/201110biscuit-topped-chicken-pot-pie-html.html