- 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4–6 Tablespoons evaporated cane juice, or sugar (Buy cane juice here.)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup butter, chilled, cubed
- ¾ cup lard, chilled
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4–6 Tablespoons cold water
- Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together.
- Quickly cut in the butter cubes.
- Mix in lard, eggs, and water.
- Add more water if necessary to bring the ingredients to the point where they just begin to hold together. This crust is very dry and stiff. Try not to overwork it.
- Divide into 3 equal balls and chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or more.
- To roll the pastry, sandwich the ball between two sheets of waxed paper.
- Working quickly, press the ball flat into a circle and then roll out to size.
- Peel the top sheet of waxed paper off and flip upside down into a pie plate.
- Remove the other sheet of waxed paper and tuck down into the bottom corners of the plate.
- Crimp the crust as desired.
- Return the crust to the refrigerator while you prepare the filling to keep it chilled.
- Bake as directed in the pie recipe.