Classic sausage gravy and biscuits made with flakey southern style buttermilk biscuits and a creamy milk gravy is a hearty breakfast recipe everyone will love!
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- Buttermilk Biscuits (Recipe HERE)
- Add the salt, black pepper, and sage to the ground pork and mix it in well.
- Cook the sausage in a cast iron skillet (I use this one HERE) until the meat is no longer pink and is just beginning to carmelize a little.
- Make a well in the center of the meat. (Our sausage seems to be a little on the lean side and so I melt a tablespoon of lard in the well. I know most people don't have lard, so you could use reserved bacon grease or a dollop of oil I suppose. Most sausage should have enough fat though to skip that step entirely. It's only if the meat is dry.)
- Add the flour, salt, and pepper using a whisk to mix it all together well. The meat will be all coated with the flour.
- Add the milk and heat, whisking and simmering until it has thickened.
- Serve over fresh, warm Buttermilk Biscuits .
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2011/01/sausage-gravy.html