Whole Wheat Sourdough Sandwich Bread
- Preferment Sponge
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup water
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter or oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Instead of feeding your starter the night as usual, prepare a stiff preferment sponge by thoroughly mixing all Preferment Sponge ingredients until smooth.
- Cover with a sheer cloth and allow to sit at room temperature overnight.
- In the morning, add to the a dough mixer all of the sponge and the remaining bread ingredients EXCEPT the salt.
- Mix the ingredients for a couple of minutes until they are all incorporated.
- Then allow the dough to sit for 20 minutes.
- Add 3 teaspoons salt, then mix the dough on low speed for 4 minutes.
- Shut off the mixer, and loosely cover with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough sit for an 75 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap. Turn on the mixer for two turns of the dough hooks. (This develops the gluten.) Recover with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough sit for another 75 minutes. Turn on the mixer for two turns of the dough hooks once again. Remove the dough hook. Recover with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough sit for another 75 minutes, for a total first rise of 3 hours and 45 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into two.
- Roll out each ball into a rectangle the width of the length of your bread pan. The length of the rectangle isn't as big of a deal, just roll out enough to remove most air pockets. Tightly roll up jelly roll style, pinching the bottom seam. Pinch the ends, tucking under. Pat nicely into a loaf shape and place into a well-buttered bread pan.
- Repeat for the other piece of dough.
- Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and place back in a warm, draft free spot until doubled and a nicely sized loaf. Don't get impatient and put it in too soon, or it will be dense.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slash with a lame, razor blade, or sharp knife down and then brush with tops with melted butter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove loaves from pans and transfer to a cooling rack.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2010/12/whole-wheat-sourdough-sandwich-bread.html