Today I’m reposting my favorite mulberry recipe from last year. I’ve been waiting all year for the first ripe berries to grow on our mulberry tree and we harvested our first three quarts this weekend. I’m making jam with two today and with the rest I made 4 dozen muffins and froze whatever was leftover so I might not have to wait that long to enjoy these breakfast treats again!
This year I decided that I didn’t want to let all of the beautiful mulberries that my tree produces go to the birds ~literally. (And what they leave behind ends up rotting on the ground, very smelly.) I intended to make some very frugal jam and had produced one batch at the cost of a whopping $.22 per pint (compare that to the $1.44 per pint I made strawberry jam for!). Then my transformation into a sewing machine< quickly brought all of my (j)ambitions to an end. I was certain that by the time we came home from the birds would have scavenged all remaining berries. I was pleasantly surprised that there were still some remaining and set about harvesting fruit. My disappointment at having too few berries from that harvest disappeared after one bite of my back-up plan!
Don't know what to do with all the mulberries you have on hand? Mulberry-Apple Muffins are sure to please your family. Streusel topping optional.
- 3/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c. milk
- 1/2 c. mulberries, stems removed, chopped
- 1/2 c. apple, cored, skinned, diced
- (OR SUBSTITUTE WITH EQUIVALENT MEASUREMENT OF YOUR FAVORITE BERRY)
- Optional Topping:
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1/4 c. butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 t. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix all dry batter ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and stir with a spoon until combined.
- Fold in the mulberries and apples.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins (either greased or paper lined), 3/4 full.
- For the topping:
- In a small bowl mix brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Add butter cubes and mix with a fork
- Sprinkle streusel topping over the muffins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @reformationacres on Instagram and hashtag it #reformationacres.