Chocolate Cherry Black Forest Cake
A moist chocolate cake studded with cherries and frosted with whipped cream, Black Forest Cake baked from scratch is an impressive dessert.
- 1 ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- Frosting Between Layers
- 2 (14 ounce) cans pitted Bing cherries, drained and reserved
- ½ cup cherry juice
- ½ cup butter
- 3 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate, grated
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare two 9" cake pans by greasing with shortening and dusting with flour.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Beat in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, until combined.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Cut each layer in half, horizontally, making 4 layers total.
- Sprinkle layers with the 1/2 cup cherry juice.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add confectioners sugar, pinch of salt, and coffee; beat until smooth. If the consistency is too thick (which is was), add a couple teaspoons of cherry juice or milk. (I used milk and more than a couple teaspoons. I just kept adding a few at a time until it was at least spreadable.)
- Spread first layer of cake with 1/3 of the filling.
- Top with 1/3 of the cherries.
- Repeat with the remaining layers.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla to stiff peaks.
- Frost top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with chocolate garnish. I piped on some whipped topping with a large star tip and added the extra cherries on top.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2010/03/black-forest-cake.html