Everybody needs a basic berry muffin recipe in their cookbook! And my basic berry muffin recipe works beautifully to make Mulberry Muffins with Apples and Streusel Topping!
This year I decided that I didn’t want to let all of the beautiful mulberries that my tree produces go to the birds. Literally. (And what they leave behind ends up rotting on the ground, very smelly.) I intended to make some very frugal jam and had produced one batch at the cost of a whopping $.22 per pint (compare that to the $1.44 per pint I made strawberry jam for!). Then my transformation into a sewing machine quickly brought all of my (j)ambitions to an end. I was certain that by the time we came home from Boston the birds would have scavenged all remaining berries. I was pleasantly surprised that there were still some remaining and set about harvesting fruit. My disappointment at having too few berries from that harvest disappeared after one bite of my backup plan!
Mulberry Apple Muffins
Yield 15 muffins
Everybody needs a basic berry muffin this recipe works beautifully to make Mulberry Muffins with Apples and Streusel Topping (Or with your favorite berry!)
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups wheat flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup oil
- 2 egg
- 1 ⅓ cup milk
- 2 cups mulberries, or your favorite berry
- 1 chopped apple
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup flour
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix all dry batter ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and stir with a spoon until combined.
- Fold in the mulberries and apples.
- Spoon fill the prepared muffin tins (either greased or paper lined).
- In a small bowl mix brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Add butter cubes and mix with a fork (or set your kids loose with their hands! They'll love to lick their fingers - when they're done of course!)
- Sprinkle streusel topping over the muffins.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @reformationacres on Instagram and hashtag it #reformationacres.