Garden Fresh Wilted Lettuce
Salad greens wilted in a hot vinegar and bacon dressing. Wilted lettuce is the perfect accompaniment for steak!
- 6 slices bacon (or more to taste)
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- desired amount of onion, sliced
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- Cook the bacon, reserving the drippings.
- Crumble and toss with lettuce and onion.
- While the drippings are still warm add the vinegar, salt, and sugar. (Friendly Warning: Don't hover over the pan for this step, the vinegar will heavily simmer and the smell burns your nose!)
- Simmer to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour down over the salad. Toss and serve warm.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2009/05/wilted-lettuce.html