Berry Swirl Angel Food Cake
Made with a dozen eggs, Berry Swirl Angel Food Cake is a true farmstead cake! And our favorite way to use up a surplus when the hens lay abundantly in the spring. Also has a recipe for Honey Meringue Frosting
- 12 eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- Raspberry Puree:
- ½ cup raspberries, or other berries, fresh or defrosted
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the puree by adding all of the ingredients to the blender and liquefying them. Set it aside.
- Whisk the powdered sugar and flour prior to measuring and then measure them out. Whisk them together and then sift them twice. (They need to be very light.) Set the bowl aside.
- Separate 12 eggs, placing the whites in the dry bowl of a stand mixer. (Be careful not to get any yolk in the bowl.)
- Measure out the cream of tartar and vanilla and add them to the egg whites.
- Using the whisk attachment, beat the whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. (The peaks will curl over.)
- Gradually add 1 cup of sugar, a couple of tablespoons at a time, until stiff peaks form. (They will point straight up and stay there.)
- Sift ⅓ of the powdered sugar mixture over the egg whites and gently fold them in. Repeat with the remaining powdered sugar mixture.
- Spoon ⅓ of the cake batter into an ungreased 10” tube pan. Drizzle half of the puree over the cake. Repeat with 2 more layers of batter and the rest of the puree between them. Gently cut through the batter with a butter knife to remove any air pockets and swirl the berries.
- Bake on the lowest rack in the oven for 35 minutes or until the top springs back when very lightly touched. Immediately invert the cake and cool it completely in the pan.
- Loosen the sides of the cake with a knife before removing it from the pan.
- Try frosting it with Meringue Frosting or Whipped Cream. I chose drizzling with Cream Custard.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at https://www.reformationacres.com/2009/05/angel-food-cake-with-meringue-frosting.html