Tomato Gravy over Buttermilk Biscuits with Homemade Sausage Patties
Yield 6 -7 Servings
- Buttermilk Biscuits, half recipe
- Sausage Patties
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛-¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- couple tablespoons lard, or oil
- Tomato Gravy
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup fresh tomato puree
- 1 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 475.
- Sprinkle all of the seasonings over the ground pork in a bowl and mix it together well, but don't over work it though so the meat doesn't get tough.
- Gently, yet firmly shape them into patties.
- Prepare and bake the biscuits according to the directions.
- Warm the lard over medium high heat in a skillet.
- Add the patties to the skillet and cover it with a lid.
- Cook them for about 3-5 minutes until they are well browned, flip, and repeat on the other side until they are cooked through. Total cooking time depends on how big and thick you make your patties.
- Tomato Gravy
- Saute the onion in the butter over medium-low heat for about 5-8 minutes until caramelized.
- Add in the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
- Whisk in the flour and salt and cook it for a minute.
- Whisk in the fresh tomato puree and chicken stock and simmer the gravy until it has thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the milk and parmesan cheese and then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over the Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage.
Recipe by Reformation Acres at http://www.reformationacres.com/2016/10/tomato-gravy-over-buttermilk-biscuits-with-homemade-sausage-patties.html