I don’t know if it’s the simplicity of preparing this meal,
Or if it is the scent of the peppers and onions while they are sautéing,
Or if it’s that there are no cream of anything soups or MSG-laden seasoning packets on the ingredients list…
But I love making and serving this meal. And I hope you will too.
You know what else brought in the compliments.
I made sourdough tortillas when no one was looking and they thought they were store bought!
Granted, they didn’t stay soft as long, but I’m not a scientist. I can’t compete with their lab. I do the best I can. I’m going to try warming them differently next time and if that works out well, maybe I’ll share the recipe here too.
Speaking of sharing recipes, let’s get on with it:
- 1 small whole chicken
- 1 green peppers, chopped (I love to use the frozen ones from garden surplus)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 t. cumin
- 2 t. chili powder
- 2 t. salt
- For Serving:
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- oil or butter
- salsa or chopped tomatoes
- Place the chicken in the crockpot. (I use this one .)
- Scatter the pepper, onion, and garlic around the chicken and then sprinkle the spices over the top. Add a glass of water.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or until a drumstick twists off.
- Prior to mealtime, saute the sliced peppers and onions in the oil or butter over medium heat until the onions are caramelized. Go slow so you don’t burn the onions. This might take as long as 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the tortillas, remove the chicken from the crock and pick the meat from the bones, shredding the pieces.
- Divide the chicken, vegetables, and toppings among the tortillas.
DISCLOSURE: Would you like to know how you can support this website? I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Using these links doesn’t cost you anything, but helps me pay the blogging bills. Your support is greatly appreciated and a real blessing to me! Thank you! ♥