Monday was a busy day… It was also smoking hot.
Normally, our temperatures during the last week of May will fall close to 70 degrees, but on Monday we topped out at 90! Memorial Day weekend falls just after our last frost date and the extra day provides for the perfect excuse to plant our garden. Between that and the final tasks involved with putting up the first cutting of hay for the year, we were hot, sweaty, sticky, and smelly by the end of the day.
Covered in dirt and bits of hay filthy.
And I just knew that by then everyone would be calling for a trip to the local ice cream shop. The problem is with a crew this large, a trip to the local ice cream shop can practically bankrupt us.
No, I’m not kidding, for the price of those cones last time I could have bought 12 quarts of ice cream at the grocery store! But with a few hours foresight, I was able to prepare a cool and refreshing chocolate silk pie
Chocolate Silk Pie
- Graham Cracker Crust, baked, chilled OR Flaky Pie Crust , baked, cooled
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped, melted, & cooled
- 1 ½ sticks butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cup evaporated cane juice (or substitute)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- freshly whipped cream
- Using a Kitchen Aid Mixer, cream the butter.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat, scraping the bowl for 5 minutes.
- Add the melted chocolate beating for 30 seconds.
- Add eggs to the bowl, one at a time, beating on medium-high for 3-4 min. after each addition.
- Add vanilla and blend for 10 seconds.
- Scrape the filling into crust and smooth the top.
- Cover with loosely tented foil and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream.