Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Strawberry Scones is our new favorite breakfast. I believe I’ve mentioned it a time or two already, haven’t I?
I like it that much.
I like it because it’s only lightly sweetened and yet the chocolate chips provide enough satisfaction to the children’s sweet tooth’s that they aren’t begging for donuts or something equally deliciously naughty.
Plus, I’m usually at a loss as to how to use up frozen strawberries from last year’s harvest and how lovely it has been to open that bag of sliced berries, breaking the frozen pieces apart, and breathing in the fresh aroma of summertime on a frosty March morning.
Should you choose to try these biscuits yourself, my only caveat is that you must, MUST not consider the butter and cream optional. Oh my! The whole combination is simply delectable and oh so satisfying!
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Strawberry Scones
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, chilled, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅓ cup milk
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup frozen strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter until coarse & crumbly.
- Stir in the eggs and milk until a soft dough forms.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and strawberries.
- Turn out onto a heavily floured surface, adding more flour to make a dry dough kneading a bit to incorporate it all together until it holds without crumbling.
- Pat to ½"- ¾" thick square and cut into 16 squares.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes... cool for 5 minutes prior to serving which must be done with a pat of butter and freshly whipped cream.
Original Recipe Credit