Got extra sourdough starter? Before you throw it out, why don’t you give Pumpkin Nut Sourdough Muffins a try? These tasty muffins are much healthier than the Pumpkin Apple Muffins I typically have served up for my family, so, in addition to the wonderful flavor, moist texture, and nutty crunch, I appreciate the clear conscience.
This recipe is large family sized and makes about 24 muffins. I considered cutting it in half, but I find it more irritating to try to figure out what to do with half a can of pumpkin, don’t you? Just make the full batch and toss the leftovers in the freezer, is what I would suggest.
I like to feed the leftover sourdough starter in the morning after I’ve used the rest for baking bread and then prepare these the night before I’ll be serving them since they do involve a little extra time. Also, I’m of the opinion that the flavor is better once they’ve cooled. The other thing that I’ve noticed is that they also become more moist over time, so expect the texture to be different on day two… if they last that long. Freezing the extras may help, but I haven’t tried that yet, so you’re on your own there.
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 c. active sourdough starter
- 2 c. pumpkin puree (This is about the small 15 oz. can)
- ¼ c. applesauce
- ¼ c. olive oil (or melted butter or coconut oil)
- 3 eggs
- ½ c. honey
- ½ c. sucanat (or brown sugar)
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1½ c. unbleached all purpose flour
- 1½ c. whole wheat flour (you could use 100% whole wheat, but the cost is in texture and the overpowering of any pumpkin flavor)
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1½ to 2 T. cinnamon
- In one bowl, thoroughly combine the wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the moist ones and mix together until just combined.
- Stir in 1½ c. chopped walnuts.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling about ¾ of the way full.
- Allow to sit on the counter for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the centers are done.
- Cool completely.